Keeping Your Bathroom Mold Free!
A nice warm shower or bath can be a great way to end the day or re-energize in the morning. You aren’t alone in being drawn to the comforts a bathroom can provide. Lingering dampness after bathing and potential water damage create welcoming environments for mold growth.
While sometimes obvious, mold damage can also be sneaky. Hidden water damage may likely be the culprit if you notice the distinct musty odor without the visual cues. When finding the source, check the following areas:
- Inspect toilets, sinks and pipes for signs of a leak or mold.
- Check caulking around tubs and showers.
- Remove ventilation fan cover to look for signs of growth.
- Inspect walls, grout, wallpaper, drywall, rugs, and other porous materials for dampness.
The pesky fungus may be annoying, but luckily mold prevention is easy. Incorporating a few daily habits and regularly checking for damage can keep it at bay. Some tips include:
- After bathing, squeegee walls to eliminate lingering water.
- Always use the ventilation fan when bathing and keep it running for 30 minutes afterward.
- Mold loves humidity. Try to keep levels below 50% in the home via a dehumidifier or air conditioner.
- Keep bathrooms clean. Washing the rugs and towels and cleaning toilets, sinks and showers can eliminate conditions that mold and mildew love.