Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Here at SERVPRO of West Concord we understand water damages can be sudden, stressful and devastating. Knowing to trust our professional team is always the first piece of advice we’d give you. Our experienced team answers our phones 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Here are some helpful tips for things to do before help arrives:
- Turn the source of water off.
- If there is contamination in the water, use caution and protect yourself and others.
- If contents are in or near the wet areas, move them out of the way.
- Use a wet vacuum or mop to prevent the water from traveling to other areas.
- If furniture cannot be moved, consider using plastic or Tupperware lids to put under the legs of the furniture.
- If towels or clothing have sewage contamination discard them, do not try to wash.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (925) 681-9093
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.